24 May 2012

Be thirsty my little one

My love for reading is quite drastically different from Daddy's.

To put it pictorially, my book shelves would house books like these:




The above plus a ton of baby care / childcare books, craft and cookbooks, make up / hairstyling books, Reader's Digest and maybe also alot of fashion magazines left there to rot.

And Daddy's bookshelves would house books like these:




The above plus a ton of Time magazines and Pioneer magazine (in case anyone wonders, those are magazines the army send to the boys which, I hope, Daddy didn't pay for) which Daddy collects for storage purposes only.

A meaningful excerpt for me would be:

People are realizing more and more that happiness is freedom, and freedom is to be able to “travel light”, not possessing a lot of things, because at the end of the day, the things start to possess you.

I remember that I considered to buy a castle here in France: I went to see some.

One day I realized that if I buy a castle, I cannot think about anything but taking care of it. Therefore, I bought a small watermill, so to keep it is very easy, and I have time to go to the mountains, to walk, do spend my life in the way that I would like. In short: the less you have to keep, the more you have in freedom.

- Paulo Coelho here

And for Daddy, a meaningful excerpt would be:




Or...




Wahahahahahahaha...

Whatever it is, nothing is better than the other and our intention is to cultivate the love of reading and learning for Joy Joy.

I want to make it fun!

For now, I'm looking for simple cardboard books or "soft toy" books that can capture Joy Joy's attention and she'll get to touch them to stimulate her senses. Particularly like those puppet books but really, surprisingly, i don't see alot of those around and I'm continuing my search online. Hopefully I'll find them soon.

When the little girl grows up a little more, I'm going to make library trips fun! We'll have a theme each time we visit..to learn about different things that exists in this world. Like astronomy, presidents of the world etc. I won't want her to memorize them but I hope to tap on to her curious nature to expose her to these things and make her thirst for learning.

Hopefully, she'll enjoy the journey we've planned for her and later on it life, let it take on a life of its own, whatever her reading / learning preferences may be.

We'll love to watch by the side and encourage her along the way. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ads